Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Officially a Thunderbird...



Today was my first day at Southern Utah University. I have my ID card and my parking permit, so I officially consider myself an SUU Thunderbird (even though I'm not participating in sports). I woke up at 4:30 a.m. and left the house by 5:15 a.m. to drive the 95 miles to Cedar City, UT. I amazed myself by NOT getting lost on campus (especially since I'd never been there before) and made it to my photography class early. By the way, I know I'm going to LOVE that class! I then had English 2200 - Literature and Culture. I think I'll enjoy the approach to this class... more emotional than analytical. I'm taking Modern Social Problems, mainly to finish my general ed., which I thought I'd finished when I got my AA degree, but no. My last class of the day is Creative Writing. I'm pretty sure I'll like this class. I've always felt that I'm a decent writer, and my first english professor really pushed me in that direction, so I'm excited to branch into the creative aspect of writing (secretly I've always wanted to write a book... maybe I'll get some of the tools I need).
Overall it was a good day, though quite tiring (8:30-4). Starting out with such a long drive isn't super fun, but I can't really complain. I was able to get a full ride for this year between grants and scholarships. I feel so blessed. I absolutely love school and I can't wait to get my degree. I hope that as a teacher I can pass some of my love of learning on to my students.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Good for you Tara! Good luck!;)