Monday, May 23, 2011

10 Months...



Another month has come and gone which means Little Man has gotten
another month older.
I guess that makes me another month closer to 30.
I've been thinking about that particular number quite a bit lately, but as this post is about Little Man and not me I'll save it for another time.

At 10 months Little Man...
-has 6 teeth: 3 on top and 3 on the bottom.  I think more are trying to break through because man has he been a grump!
-is cruising along the furniture.  A friend of ours had her son the day before Spencer was born (we were in the same hospital but on different floors) and her boy is trying to walk.  I'm glad Spencer isn't that ambitious yet.
-travels at light-speed (or so it seems) up the stairs.  No joke... I look away for a second and he's gone.  Due to the success of the latest baby gate I've ordered another for the bottom of the stairs.  I'd rather deal with a frustrated Avery (she can't open it on her own) than with an ER-bound Spencer.  I'm hoping the gates will also help contain the pony, I mean dog, that we'll be inheriting next month.
-follows his big sisters just about everywhere.
-still hugs me tightly and I love it!!! (Especially when I remember to trim his razor claws.)
-thinks it's hilarious when he crawls away with a bare bum, usually when I change his diaper somewhere other than the changing table in his room.  I think it's pretty funny also... only because he's got a cute naked bum.
I planned on weighing him but since I forgot to and he's in bed I'll do it another time.  I enjoy my son.  He's already so different than his sisters, but alike in many ways as well.  He brings me so much joy.

*   *   *
So about our soon-to-be new family member...
My grandma's health has been declining quite rapidly so my mom has taken leave from work through FMLA to take care of her.  Because of the demands on Mom's time, as well as the strain on her physically, mentally, and emotionally, we are going to adopt her dog, Zeus.
Now I'm sure you're thinking, "How could you slip and say 'pony?'"  Well, Zeus is about a year old and he's a Great Dane.  So yes, pony may not be entirely accurate but we're talking about a large dog who's only going to get bigger.
And compared to Laura Lu who weighs about 39 pounds he's enormous.
I must admit that Aaron and I were a bit apprehensive at first.  We worried that we wouldn't have the time or patience to train him (and I'm not looking forward to the poop-scooping).  But after thinking and talking about it more we're starting to get really excited to have him.  Of course it's going to be a lot of work to prepare then train him, but he's a beautiful and loving dog.  And he's potty trained (halleleujah!)  I'm thankful we have the room for him.  I know it's going to be a relief for Mom to know he's with a family who will love him.
I wonder how long it will take Laura to gain enough weight to be able to walk him?

2 comments:

aaronalli said...

Don't worry about the 30 thing..it is really just another number. You are only as old as you feel. With your family you should feel 20!

Melissa Slocum, M. Ed. said...

Tara- you have totally inspired me! I want to try the couch to 5k program. I've been trying to workout more regularly, but it is just not happening for me. It is really hard with work, but now that summer is here - I want to try this.